Journal #7

Write a sentence expressing a recent problem or event that upset you.

I can’t understand Algebra 2 for the life of me.

Write a list of three or more criticisms your IC (Inner Critic) Might level against you as a result of this situation. Have your IG (Inner Guide) dispute each one immediately.

IC: You aren’t doing well in math because you are stupid.

IG: I am just being challenged this year. A little hard work never killed anyone.

IC: You will never understand math, you can forget IU.

IG:  I can understand math if I really work at it. Nothing is impossible.

IC: Staying after school gets you nowhere.

IG: Staying after school is actually quite helpful if I make the most of my time.

Write a list of three or more criticisms your ID (Inner Defender) Might level against you as a result of this situation. Have your IG (Inner Guide) dispute each one immediately.

ID: That math teacher has no clue what he’s doing.

IC: He is a first year teacher and is just trying to figure stuff out and find his role in the class room.

ID: That math teacher just likes to do math all day and show off how smart he is.

IC: He seems like a good guy outside of being a teacher. He can’t be all bad.

ID: What does he know anyways he graduated from Purdue!

IG: Even though he graduated from Purdue he can still be smart. He has an engineering degree and was in the Navy. He can’t be that slow.

Write about what you have learned or relearned about changing your inner conversation.

I have learned that for every negative there is a positive to answer. If you always focus on the negatives you will just get upset and be less productive, but if you focus on the positive you can get a lot done and make painful subjects that much better.